Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Russian Anecdote!

In May of this year, I went fishing with Slava.  Slava is a former guard at our apartment complex, and he and I have formed a bizarre friendship--bizarre, because he speaks almost no English and I speak even less Russian.  He is a sweet man who has, for lack of a better word, adopted me and welcomed me into his life.  He deserves a whole separate blog post, and it's in the works.
Regardless, when we were fishing, he shared this Soviet anecdote with me:
  It was 1981, and an angel appeared to Ronald Reagan and Leonid Brezhnev.  They were at a Summit or something.  The angel told them, "I have a newspaper from the year 2025.  Would you like to read it?"
  Brezhnev said, "Absolutely!" and grabbed the newspaper.  He looked at it and promptly began laughing.  Belly laughing.  Laughing as if he would never stop.  
  Reagan looked concerned and said, "What!?!"
  Brezhnev said, "The headline here says, 'American Soviet Concerned It Won't Meet Five-Year Plan Quotas."
  Reagan said, "Gimme that!" and started leafing through the paper.  It took a little longer, but he found his tidbit a little further back.  He, too, began laughing to beat the band.
  Brezhnev said, "What!?!"
  Reagan said, "This headline says, 'Fighting Escalates at Finland-China Border!"
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment